Lucy

Lucy
"The World According to Lucy"

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tough Decisions


Tough Decision
The Decision Making Process

We are all faced with making decisions in our lives.  We make decisions that are immediately necessary:  driving, emergencies, and work.  We make decisions that require more thought than instinct:  school, lifestyle, and career choices. 

The contemplation or impulsive responses we chose come from experiences, beliefs, and knowing oneself.  The later being the most important because if we do not know our likes and dislikes then we will be prone to making poor decisions for ourselves. 

Once we understand what we like and what we do not then we can move forward toward the decision making process as I have outlined below.

Step 1:  Define the Decision Clearly

Going back to college to complete Masters Degree while working, being married, and raising teenagers

Step 2:  Consider All the Possible Choices

Online Degree
Accelerated Online Degree
Wait and complete Masters Degree

Step 3:  Gather All Relevant Information and Evaluate the Pros and Cons of Each Possible Choice

Possible Choices
Pros
Cons


Online Degree



No in-class time

Complete assignments when I have time

More flexibility with schedule
Limited class interaction (through posts, group assignments, etc)

Timeframe too long

Cost

Accelerated Online Degree


Complete my degree quickly

No in-classroom time, allows schedule flexibility
Commitment to assignments

Must have time & organization

Cost
Wait to complete Masters Degree
Kids will be grown up and gone, more time to focus on degree

Cost is less now
Prevents me achieving academic goals as soon as possible

Cost will keep going up

Step 4:  Select the Choice That Seems to Best Meet the Needs of the Situation

I will chose to wait & complete my Masters Degree once my children are grown up and gone because:  both are teenagers now & it will allow me the time I need to focus on my Masters Degree.

Step 5:  Implement a Plan of Action and Then Monitor the Results, Making Necessary Adjustments

I will continue to monitor colleges for the Masters Degree program that interests me; once the kids are grown up and gone I will begin my Masters Degree; I will start saving money now to help pay for my Masters Degree.


3 comments:

  1. Lucy,
    I think making a sacrifice for your kids is commendable and I’m a firm believer that it has it’s rewards. The one thing you didn’t mention was the reason for pursuing the master’s degree. Wouldn’t another option be to NOT get your master’s degree? I is needed for something that you are striving for? Will you be limited in your career without it?
    (BTW - I love you you are able to keep with the peanuts theme.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the peanuts theme too....I agree with Leonard. Why do you want your Masters....understanding why may offset some of the cons....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    I have the "why" about the Masters Degree in my profile.

    I love the Peanuts....they offer some great life lessons.

    Kattie

    ReplyDelete